Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gasoline


The government says that the recession is slowing, but we still see high prices, people looking for jobs, and inflation. Today Americans are trying to save money, but they are paying about $4. 00 per gallon at the gasoline pumps. What are they supposed to do? People are trying to deal with the high price of gasoline. Many drivers have made the decision to leave their car at home and go to work by bus. Others think to move closer to work so they don’t have to drive so far. Some groups have begun carpools to save money and gasoline. Some businesses are giving their employee gas cards for bonuses and birthday gifts. Other businesses are promoting that their employees stay home and use technology by accessing a computing cloud to do their work. I’m saving money every day because I don’t have a car, I take the public bus, and I walk up the hill by Hoban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/business/18gasoline.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=gasoline%20price&st=cse&scp=3

--by Eider Chinguad

2 comments:

  1. Eider, I agree with the facts that you have made regarding the continuing rise of the price of gasoline. I myself have gone to some changes in the way I drive. I never STEP on the gas anymore because it wastes gas; I plan ahead of time before I get in the car with directions so I know where I am going; and I also watch for patterns in the rise and lowering of the price of gasoline at gas stations near my home, that way, if I need to get gas, I know which place is usually cheapest and how long I have until they raise the gas price each week.

    In regards to what you stated about the recession slowing, I have found that an Arizona News Station addressed the issue with a Q&A type article. They said, "So why do gas prices spike every time there [are]...incident[s] in the Middle East...when the U.S. now receives less oil? Because the oil industry...jack[s]-up prices in order to make an extra profit." While this does seem a little 'personal' for the writer, it does bring out the obvious that gas is high because of the U.S. involvement in the Middle East. The more time we spend there, therefore, the more we, as American citizens, will have to pay each and every time we take a trip to the pump.

    http://northernarizonanews.com/blog/2011/04/12/rising-gas-prices-following-footsteps-of-08-recession/

    -John Urdiales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gas prices are record breakingly high right now, which is crazy. We're making history; maybe this will be in the Guiness Book of World Records...? Maybe not, but either way, gas prices are definately a huge deal, especially for those that depend on cars as much as people in Ohio do. I think a great option that Eider mentioned is car-pooling. It saves gas and makes driving more fun because you have someone to keep you company. Another way to save gas is to avoid using the electonic features in your car, such as the AC, heat, or radio. One day, I hope to live in New York City, where I will never have to worry about gas because I will walk places and ride the subway.

    -Julianna Blischak

    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-price.htm

    ReplyDelete